Pulwama firing: 17-yr-old succumbs to bullet injury

Pulwama firing: 17-yr-old succumbs to bullet injury
  • 83

Anantnag: A 17-year-old student injured in Gaberpora Haal area of Pulwama district when government troops opened fire on people protesting the killing of two Lashkar-e-Toiba militants, succumbed to his injuries at SKIMS Soura Wednesday morning. He is the second civilian to have died of injuries from bullets fired by government troops on people protesting the killing of militant commander Abu Dujana and his associate on Tuesday.
The teenager has been identified as Akeel Majeed Bhat, son of late Abdul Majeed, resident of Gaberpora Haal.
Another civilian, Firdau Ahmad Khan of Begum Bagh, Kakapora, was shot dead by government forces on Tuesday.
Clashes had erupted in parts of Pulwama soon after Abu Dujana and his associate Arif Nabi Dar were killed in an encounter in Hakripora area in this south Kashmir district. Dozens were injured during the protests.
Akeel was hit by a bullet when government forces fired at protestors in Gaberpora Haal. A friend of his told Kashmir Reader, “We rushed him to the Rajpora hospital and from there to Pulwama district hospital.” He said that Akeel was operated on at Pulwama district hospital before he was referred to SKIMS Soura.
“His liver was badly damaged. He would have died in a matter of minutes if we had referred him straightaway (to SKIMS). That is why we conducted a surgery on him before shifting him to Srinagar,” Medical Superintendent (MS) of Pulwama District Hospital, Dr Abdul Rashid Parra, told Kashmir Reader.
His body was brought to Haal this morning, where hundreds of people participated in his funeral.
Akeel, according to his family and friends, supported his family by doing odd jobs, apart from studying.
“It was tough for him. The family is very poor and things became all the more difficult after his father died a couple of years ago. Akeel did everything possible to support his family,” his friends told Kashmir Reader.
He is survived by his mother and two younger siblings, including a sister.
“The family faces even harder days ahead,” lamented Akeel’s friends.
Clashes erupted in Haal after Akeel’s funeral and continued for most part of the day. Nobody was injured during these clashes, though.
Meanwhile, a complete shutdown was observed across south Kashmir today. Offices, schools, commercial establishments and other places of work remained closed. Traffic, too, was thin on the roads.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.