Two militants killed, two army men injured in Pantha Chowk encounter

Two militants killed, two army men injured in Pantha Chowk encounter

Srinagar: Police claimed to have killed two militants in a nearly 24-hour-long encounter at Pantha Chowk in Srinagar on Sunday.
Two army men, including an officer, have sustained splinter injuries during the gunfight.
The gunfight began past Saturday midnight between government forces and two militants who had taken shelter in the premises of the Delhi Public School after attacking a patrol of the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) on Saturday evening.
Director General of Police (DGP) Shesh Paul Vaid told Kashmir Reader that both militants were killed during the gunfight.
“The operation is almost over. Two militants have been killed. A search operation has been conducted to sanitise the entire area,” the DGP said.
Vaid said that the identity of the militants was yet to be ascertained.
The Lashkar-e-Toiba (LeT) had claimed the attack on the CRPF patrol near Delhi Public School (DPS). A CRPF sub-inspector (SI), Sahab Shukla, succumbed to his injuries sustained in the attack. Two other CRPF men injured were declared out of danger.
CRPF spokesperson Rajesh Yadav told Kashmir Reader that the bodies of both militants had been recovered but their identity was yet to be known.
“Two AK-47 rifles, magazines and ammunition have been recovered from the possession of the killed militants,” he said.
Soon after their attack, the militants were seen running towards the DPS premises to take shelter. Army, CRPF and police in a joint operation cordoned off the area and conducted searches to trace the hiding militants.
Sources told Kashmir Reader that first contact with the hiding militants was established at 1:30am in the night, when they opened fire at government forces to break the cordon to escape.
“The fire was retaliated and attempts to break the cordon were foiled. The second exchange of fire took place at 3:30am and continued for a few hours,” said the sources.
They said that as the gunfire stopped at 10am, army proceeded for room intervention and conducted room to room searches.
“It was established that two militants were killed, but bodies were yet to be retrieved. Up to 5pm there was no firing,” they said.
At 5 pm, militants again fired at the search party. “The firing was opened by a militant who was believed to have been killed. He was either hiding safely or was only inured. During the exchange of fire after 5pm, he, too, was gunned down,” said the sources.
They said that a search operation was conducted swiftly by the army to sanitise the area.
Sources further added that both militants are believed to be associated with Lashkar-e-Toiba and one among them is believed to be a local.


Like it ! Share it .....

Like Love Haha Wow Sad Angry

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.