Kandhama: Family of a Power Development Department employee, who died due to electrocution on duty in December, have complained that the department was delaying the compensation case unnecessarily.
Abdul Quyoom Zargar of Kandhama in central Kashmir’s Budgam district died due to an electric shock during power restoration work Lawahipora Khag.
“The officials of the department are adopting the delaying tactics in carrying out the investigation in the death of our sole bread earner and backbone. The files have gathered dust in the office,” Bashir Ahmad Zargar father of Quyoom said.
Bashir said Quyoom left early for work on December 27. “He had to install electric transformer at Lawahipora in Poshker feeder at around 2:45 pm. Left home early little knowing it would be the last time for him to attend the duty,” Bashir said.
Police has registered a case in this regard under FIR no 80/2016 dated 27-dec section 304 A-RPC which, Bashir said was a clear proof of his death due to electrocution.
“And the medical certificate also is a proof of death. But the department by one or the other pretext are delaying in the case,” Bashir said.
Quyoom’s death has put the entire burden of livelihood on Bashir’s shoulders. Quyoom is survived by his father, mother, wife, two daughters, sister, and three brothers.
“It is very difficult to manage. I try to show courage to fulfill the needs but can’t,” he said. “See her mother, she has lost the vision now while waiting for her son to return. She is broken and hopeless too.”
Quyoom’s wife Neelofar said that her husband was a low rank employee who “left behind nothing except two daughters”.
“I am worried about my children and livelihood. I am aware about my present plight. I can’t beg before any one,” Neelofar said.
Neelofar’s elder daughter is 3 year old while the younger one if only eight-months old.
“We have to borrow from people for our daily needs. Five months have passed and no senior PDD official has visited our home. Instead they are adopting delaying tactics in processing the case and carrying the inspection,” she said.
“We visited everyone in the department to seek the compensation but in vain. No one paid attention. Moreover, the chief electrical officer said ‘you can’t get any SRO’,” the family said.