SC issues fresh notice to Tengpora youth’s father

SC issues fresh notice to Tengpora youth’s father

By AQIB AHMAD
NEW DELHI: The Supreme Court of India has issued a fresh notice to father of a youth who was killed during last year’s uprising at Tengpora here for engaging lawyer to represent him.
“As prayed, let fresh notice be effected through Nazir Tamilaat (Process Service) of the District Court, Srinagar,” said a division bench of the apex court comprising Justice Pinaki Chandra Ghose and Justice Rohinton Fali Nariman.
Advocate Ms Kamini Jaiswal on previous date of hearing withdrew from the case, saying she has not received any instructions from Abdul Rehman Mir, father of the slain youth, Shabir Ahmad Mir.
Last year, the state government submitted before apex court the post-mortem report of Shabir, whose body was exhumed on August 18 last year and its autopsy conducted thereafter.
The post-mortem report as well as a report about the status of the investigation into Shabir’s killing was submitted in a sealed cover.
Attorney General Mukul Rohatgi appearing for State government told apex court that the post-mortem report belied the claim of the victim’s father that he was shot by policemen from point-blank range.
Making its submissions, Rohatgi said the autopsy report has revealed Shabir had died of pellet injuries.
In an application before the Chief Judicial Magistrate Srinagar, Abdul Rehman Mir, had submitted that DySP Yasir Qadri shot dead his 26-year-old son on July 10 last year.
The apex court was hearing a petition filed by the state government against the J&K High Court’s order, upholding CJM Srinagar’s judgment to register an FIR against DySP Qadri and his team.
The Supreme Court bench had also stayed contempt proceedings initiated against SSP Srinagar and Inspector General of Police (Kashmir range) for not lodging an FIR against the DySP and his team.
The CJM Srinagar had on July 18 and 28 last year directed the SSP to file an FIR against the DySP and his team on an application by Mir. The orders were challenged by the state government in the high court, which dismissed the challenge and asked the CJM to proceed ahead in accordance with law.
On August 6 last year, the CJM ordered the IGP to file FIR within 24 hours but the top police officer failed to comply, following which the CJM sent reference to High Court with a request to initiate contempt proceedings against the officer as well as the SSP Srinagar.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.