Post operative carelessness: Sopore woman burnt by a heating gadget after surgery

Post operative carelessness: Sopore woman burnt by a heating gadget after surgery

By Asim Shah
SRINAGAR: A woman received burn injuries allegedly by negligence of a private hospital staff in Sopore in north Kashmir. The 30-year woman Mahjabeen a resident of Malikpora, Wanigam Bala in Pattan had been admitted to Hakim Sanuallah Specialist Hospital and Cancer Center in Mazbugh Sopore, for the surgery of gall-bladder. After the surgery was conducted successfully, the lady received burn injuries during the post-operative period in the night intervening February 14 and 15. “I was not allowed to see my wife after the surgery. Even in the morning on February 15, the doctors were reluctant to allow me inside the ward to see her. It made me suspicious and worried about the safety of my wife,” Muhammad Ashraf, patient’s husband told Kashmir Reader.
“When I finally saw my wife she complained about pain in her abdomen area. I was shocked to see that a portion of her skin had serious burn injuries,” he said.
He said on inquiry he found out that during surgery a heating appliance had been kept closer to her that burnt her skin while she was under anesthesia.
Ashraf, a labourer by profession, said that he had taken his wife for check-up to PHC Kreeri after she developed some gallbladder issues. “A doctor at PHC Kreeri suggested laparoscopic surgery at Hakim Sanuallah Hospital that is how I landed in the private hospital,” he said. “After the surgery, my wife could not gain consciousness. The hospital staff attached a heating convector near the patient causing serious burn injuries to her abdomen and chest,” he said.
The operation was done by surgeon Dr Bashir Ahmad and Dr Hilal (anesthetist) on Tuesday night . The patient was discharged from the hospital on the next day.
He said the doctors and hospital staff not only burnt her wife due to sheer negligence but also tried to hide the incident from him. He said on discovery of the burn injury, the hospital staff misbehaved with them instead of tendering apology. The aggrieved resident later filed a complaint with the local police.
Dr Ahmad said that the incident occurred due to negligence of ward boy. “The lady received a burn injury and we took care of it. The actual surgery was performed with cent percent success,” he said.
Sopore Police station in-charge Dr Yasir Ahmad told Kashmir Reader that police have filed FIR against the hospital authorities and further investigation was in progress. “Whosoever will be responsible, we will arrest him and deal with him according to law,” he said.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.