Jailed in Chhattisgarh for sedition, Sopore boy ‘won’t go back’

Jailed in Chhattisgarh for sedition, Sopore boy ‘won’t go back’

Sopore: Tawseef Ahmad Bhat, a resident of Gund Brath in Sopore, was jailed in August on sedition charges by Chhattisgarh police. He was released three months later in November from central jail of Durg in Chhattisgarh. Since then, he has been living at his home in Sopore and says that he will not go to ‘India’ again.
Tawseef was arrested on the night of August 2 after activists of Bajrang Dal complained to police against a post on his Facebook wall which displayed a cartoon of a broom shooing away a mouse that was rendered in the colours of the Indian flag. The caption read, “Go India Go Back”.
Tawseef Ahmad, 25, who did an MBA from Chhattisgarh and was employed in a mobile phone company until he was arrested, now sits unemployed in his home in Gund Brath. His father Ghulam Ahmad said that his son had lost much weight in the three months in jail.
“I was picked up by police of Motilal police station from Sagar railway station. When I was in the police vehicle, I asked them on what charges they were arresting me. Instead of telling my crime, they asked me, ‘what have you done? We got orders from higher officials to arrest you’,” Tawseef told Reader.
“After reaching Motilal police station, I was chained and tied to one of the tables for the whole night. No one told me my crime. On the second day, a police team arrived and told me that I had been arrested for writing against the Indian state on my Facebook wall. Print-outs of my Facebook wall were in their hands which they showed me. I was shocked to learn that someone can be arrested for writing or sharing something against the state,” Tawseef said.
His bail pleas were rejected twice in three months, one by a lower court, and the second by a session court. “It was really hard for us to fight for our son’s release in an alien state. When we applied for bail in the high court, it lay pending there for more than one month. Finally it was Justice Gautam Bhaduri who released my son’s bail orders,” Ghulam Ahmad told Reader.
Tawseef said that the post e was arrested for was just one of the posts uploaded by a Kashmir news agency.
“When I was first produced in court, the judge told me you have to go to jail, without hearing anything from my side. I was taken to central jail in Durg where I was kept in a separate cell for 20 days before I was produced again in court with a chargesheet. They didn’t let me meet my family until I was produced in court the second time, where my father told me we are doing our best and we will get you released very soon. The words of my father were my only hope in those difficult days,” Tawseef said.
“For those three months in jail, I was so afraid because I was the only Kashmiri in fourteen cells. Thanks to God, nobody harmed me there. I avoided even eye contact with the other prisoners,” Tawseef recalled.
“I still wonder if writing on Facebook was enough reason to destroy my career. I was the best performer in my office in Chhattisgarh. But now I am jobless and if I apply somewhere, they reject my application because of this charge, even in Kashmir,” Tawseef said.
“I am finding my life more difficult than in jail. No company is ready to give me a job. If I go out with my friends, my parents call me to come home, because they are still afraid for me.
I don’t want to go out of my Kashmir anymore. The people in India don’t accept you as their own. In colleges, offices and at other places, you are alien to them,” Tawseef said.
“It was the most difficult time in our life. We were affected mentally as well as financially to get our son released. Now we will not let him go out of our sight even if he is jobless,” Ghulam Ahmad said.
While I was coming out from Tawseef’s home, I saw people still coming to congratulate the family for their son’s release.

11 Responses to "Jailed in Chhattisgarh for sedition, Sopore boy ‘won’t go back’"

1. SKChadha   January 16, 2017 at 6:44 am

The problem is that J&K’s politics have put such a large burden of autonomy, freedom, self rule, plebiscite etc. in federalism that the youth of valley now think that what is their narrative is the narrative of entire India about Indian Federalism? This is due to the fact that politicians of valley being in Indian Federalism have swallowed much more then what they can now chew? This has resulted in much more Autonomy and freedom to the people of valley as compared to other parts of India without realizing that every citizen also have certain duties towards the State. This is also due to the difference in provisions of local laws in India and J&K (read difference in Ranbir and Indian Penal Codes).

In such excitement as explained in article, the young ones like Tawseef Ahmad Bhat forget oneness of India and pitch themselves against entire nation, which is incorrect and troublesome for them. As a solution, it was perceived that youth from Valley should have more interaction with main land and exchanges of views. The youth exchange program was directed with that intent. However, of late it is observed that instead of exchanging the views, the youth from valley try to assert their same rights in other parts of India which may not be a crime in valley but a serious offence up to treason in other parts of India? It is also damaging for public order in other parts of India. The valley youth are required to know that the citizenry of other parts of India have lesser fundamental rights as compared to them … 🙂

Every citizen of J&K is required to understand this fact especially if they think that they be allowed continuing to enjoy autonomy which is available to them under Indian Constitution. Whether they are in J&K or in other parts of India.?

2. Sadia   January 16, 2017 at 9:47 am

SK Chadha Ji, According to your Constitution of India, there is something called Right to freedom of expression & liberty, so having our own narrative is not wrong but giving it a name of terrorism is definitely wrong, also you have have a right to choose your narrative too, so no body is telling you to accept ours, And about Ranbir penal Code of India is not applicable to J&k under 370 article and what to say they are the production of you so called Indian politics.

And about young ones like Tawseef Ahmad, I am sure they have the capability to pitch themselves in front of so call Indian nation, which definitely threatens the so called oneness of India, that’s quite impressive.
    These youth programs are just manipulation of our rights.

So every Indian should come out of the ambit of national security which gets threatened when a young boys express their views and see that some people do not agree with your constitution.

• SKChadha   January 17, 2017 at 11:12 am

Sadia, it is nice to have interaction with you. Ranbir Penal Code is applicable in J&K and Indian Penal Code in rest of India. As to Right to Freedom referred by you, every Right to individual in India have ‘Reasonable Restrictions’ and understand about these restrictions also.

Tawseef Ahmad appears to be over the age of 18 and not a Minor? Even a Minor is also punishable under Juvenile Justice Act. The crime Tawseef has done is not Terrorism but (probably) Sedition? Now tell me as to how “Youth Development Program” is manipulation of YOUR rights? Further, if a crime doesn’t threaten the State, it doesn’t mean that it should go without reprimand or unpunished?

The Constitution of India is a prime law of this land and even your citizenship or right to live in J&K flows out of it. If any J&Kiet disagree with it, he is free to leave the Indian Territory (including J&K) and go to any other place of his choice including neighbourhood. For your information every legislator, minister, government functionary of J&K is required to swear for protection of sovereignty and integrity of India and Article 3 of J&K Constitutional Act clearly prescribe that “J&K is and shall remain integral part of India”.

Please read more and study more to understand as to how the valley politicians, faith preachers, Media etc. making fool of youth by following one line and teaching and preaching another line.

3. SkB_Australia   January 16, 2017 at 7:56 pm

I think Kashmiris are free loaders they have enjoyed enough free lunches
    Now time has to come for them to choose india or move pok or get killed
    Govt should give shoot @ sight order on people interfering in terrorist encounters

• SKChadha   January 17, 2017 at 11:17 am

Those who are trying to turn the Land of Nand Rishi into Jungle and themselves into animal …. let us give them some more time to be civilized/ domesticated. Even the local law enforcement agencies are sufficient to handle them.

4. Osheen   January 17, 2017 at 6:51 pm

A colonial era law : sedition law is inconsistent with free speech.
    As Indian claims to be a largest democracy in the world, are they not going to effort freedom to debate, dissent and argue.
    And about the sedition charges on this poor fellow raises two questions in my mind, first was his small act enough to attract sedition charged second does a so called democratic india needs archaic, 156 year old colonial law anymore, please come out of this colonial obsession, 70 years gone but still colothinking.
    I hope I will be not charged here for writing truth.

5. Salman   January 18, 2017 at 11:02 am

Dear SKChadha,

Going by your statements here, It seems all leaders such as P.J Nehru, M.Gandhi, Baghat sigh etc . were uncivilised when they expressed themselves and gave their efforts in getting freedom. I would advise you to be more informed on national affairs and history, and not only be informed but use than information in unbiased way to be called really a civilised Person. Rest Kashmiris have nothing against Indian people but certainly do not want Indian rule on their people and resources. The sooner Indian government understands it , the better it is for all….

Anyways, isn’t jailing someone for expressing his views the most undemocratic action?

• SKChadha   January 23, 2017 at 9:25 am

Salman Sahib, what make you to think from my writing that those making effort for “FREEDOM” are uncivilized? Further, for your information, any person roaming on streets of J&K and claiming to be its ‘Permanent Resident’ is an Indian. He has no identity around the world except as ‘Indian Citizen’ and governed only by the Indian Citizenship Act, 1956. Even the Constitution of J&K Act, do not provide citizenship to any person and expresses only about ‘Permanent Residents’ of J&K.

Sir, please read more about the meanings of words like ‘FREEDOM’, ‘Self Rule’ and blah blah which we often hear in J&K’s discourse. You are not alone but there are many who have wrong perception about “FREEDOM AND RIGHTS”. It is a wrong notion about FREEDOM fed in the minds of many in valley by its law makers and religio-political persons. Only such jokers were responsible about insertion of Clause (7) of Article 19 in the Constitution of India, which is reading as under:

“(7) The words “reasonable restrictions” occurring in clauses (2), (3), (4) and (5) shall be construed as meaning such restrictions as the appropriate Legislature deems reasonable.’.”

NOW IT IS THEY ONLY WHO MAKE KASHMIRI DANCE FOR THEIR FREEDOM.

Sir, these words in Constitution of India categorically express that ‘Permanent Residents’ of J&K have more autonomy and freedom from the side of Union of India as compared to any other State? The only problem is that the State Government is unable to impose ‘REASONABLE RESTRICTIONS’, the burden of which it has taken on its own shoulders? If someone thinks that this kind of situation can give them something more from 1.25b Indians, his thinking is absolutely flawed. It is the valley which only despite having maximum freedom under Constitution is continuously crying for more. More autonomy is making them more riotous, lawless and bully which is also reflected in your writing. To my understanding, there is need to put a check on it?

Sir, one need to understand that “FREEDOM” in democracy is ‘a safety valve’ for releasing pressure of anger against its own elected leaders. It allows people to vent out their feelings and SENTIMENTS without fear or favour. It is also to make them think betterment of the people and establish social order. However, such FREEDOM comes with REASONABLE RESTRICTIONS for common good, which is to be decided by the same elected representatives? Expression of sentiments freely doesn’t make them automatically the governing norms of any nation. The freedom of expression has no scope of intimidation, violence, force, incitement or public disorder against anybody including the State.

Even in choicest best democratically free nations, the citizenry or public at large have to accept the writ of the government represented by elected representatives. In best of the democracies also, citizenry sacrifice some of its fundamental rights for a good social order. Remember, in peaceful social living, sacrifices of rights and freedom are at all levels i.e. from individual to family, family to neighborhood, neighborhood to community and community to states and so on. Even the nations comprising of entire humanity are sacrificing certain rights while being part of UN? Sir, we all have to keep our hand on our heart and think by FREE mind, “Being a follower of a particular faith, sect or religion or while protecting our family values, marriage etc., ARE WE NOT SECRIFICING FEW OF OUR OWN PERSONAL FREEDOMS?

6. Dia   January 18, 2017 at 2:39 pm

A colonial era Law : Sedition law is totally inconsistent with free speech.
    As India Claims to be the largest democracy in the world, are they not going to effort freedom to debate, dissent and argue.
    And about the sedition charges on this poor fellow, raises two questions in my mind, was his small act enough to attract sedition charge, second a so called democratic India needs archaic, 156 year old colonial law anymore, please come out of this colonial obsession and live free and let live others free.
    And for those who think killing anyone is easy and can satisfy their dirty conscious, please get some mind and life too.

• SKChadha   January 19, 2017 at 9:16 am

Dia, the Major Indian Laws (IPC, CrPC, TrOfPropertyAct, Contract Act, Evidence Act and lot more) are only of colonial era. Even the present Indian legal system is based mainly on Common Law (i.e. British Law) and at times trace its precedence in Privy Council rulings. Further, a Law which stood the test of the time, in maintaining public order without change, is the best law. Shall we discard the teachings of Noble Book or Vedas being old and outdated .. ???

The job of the rulers is to maintain equilibrium between ‘freedoms’ and ‘reasonable restrictions’ for social orders and sovereignty & integrity of Union. Your “POOR FELLOW” is out of charges (whether sedition or any other) in short time. Who knows that in the ‘wild western deserts’ probably he would have been before shooting squad? The Act is whether SMALL or LARGE is not by your perseverance, it is viewed by the Law of the Land. AND THIS IS THE LAW OF INDIA WHICH EVERY KASHMIRI VISITING OTHER PARTS OF INDIA IS TO UNDERSTAND.
      Please direct your words ‘killing anyone’ to those who pick up arms or throw stones on their own law enforcing agencies, IF YOU HAVE GUTS to realize who give you more freedom to debate, dissent and argue …. 😀

7. SkB_Australia   January 31, 2017 at 1:35 pm

This is ‘one sided story’ Asim Shah is a paid Porky propagandist!!!!
    Have you guys checked with Chhatishgarh police what are real charges.
    Could be establishing network/ armsupply with naxalites!!!!!