Tengpora youth’s killing: Govt tells SC postmortem report not received, seeks 4 weeks more

Tengpora youth’s killing: Govt tells SC postmortem report not received, seeks 4 weeks more
Photo: Muzamil Mattoo
Photo: Muzamil Mattoo

Srinagar: The state government on Friday submitted a letter before the Registrar of the Supreme Court of India, stating that it has not yet received the postmortem report of Shabir Ahmad Mir, whose body was exhumed on August 18 and its postmortem conducted in presence of principal district and session judge and sub-district magistrate, Srinagar. The family of Mir has said that DySP Yasir Qadri shot dead the 26-year-old youth inside his home in Tengpora area of Srinagar, in front of his parents, on July 10.
The Supreme Court, hearing a petition filed by the state government against the J&K High Court’s order to register an FIR against DySP Qadri and his team, had on August 12 sought the postmortem report in a sealed cover on or before September 5.
“The counsel (for the state government) is going to pray for grant of four weeks’ time to submit the postmortem report, as the reports from FSL Srinagar and the ballistic report from CFSL Hyderabad have not been received yet,” Sunil Fernandes, the state government’s ‘advocate on record’ in the Supreme Court wrote in his letter to the Registrar, requesting him to circulate the letter “so that no inconvenience is caused to the judges.” The Supreme Court will decide on September 5 whether to grant the four weeks’ time or not.
The exhumation for purpose of an autopsy was ordered by the district magistrate Srinagar and it was allowed by the Supreme Court with the direction that it should be supervised by the principal district and session judge Srinagar.
The SC bench had earlier stayed contempt proceedings initiated against Senior Superintendent of Police Srinagar and Inspector General of Police Kashmir Range for not lodging an FIR against the DySP and his team.
The Chief Judicial Magistrate Srinagar had on July 18 and 28 directed the SSP to file an FIR against the DySP and his team on an application by Shabir’s father. The orders were challenged by the state government in the high court, which dismissed the challenge and asked the CJM to proceed ahead in accordance with law.
On August 6, the CJM ordered the IG to file FIR within 24 hours but the top police officer in Kashmir failed to comply, following which the CJM sent reference to High Court with a request to initiate contempt proceedings against the IG as well as the SSP Srinagar.
In his application, Shabir’s father Abdul Rehman Mir said that he was forced to knock on the court’s door after the Batamaloo SHO refused to register an FIR against the Deputy SP.
He said that on July 10, at about 6:35pm, he along with family members was watching TV when a police party headed by the DySP barged into his house and started smashing window panes and doors.
“(My) wife tried to stop the police official but (he) got infuriated and physically assaulted (her) and hurled invectives,” he said.
Seeing all this, Mir said, his son—Shabir Ahmad—could not bear it and tried to save her mother from the clutches of the official and other police personnel.
“At this, the police official went into rage and started beating (my) son and thereafter opened fire. My son died on the spot,” he said. Mir has charged the DySP of taking law into his hands to kill his son in a “cold blooded murder.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.