90 injured in Langate as forces crush a march; Pulwama youth found murdered, people blame troopers while Hurriyat sees a similarity with Chattabal man’s murder
Srinagar: Government forces put down with massive force a protest march in north Kashmir’s Langate village on Sunday evening, injuring at least 90 people—mostly with pellets—five of whom were shifted to Srinagar because of the severity of their injuries.
Local residents said the protesters ran helter-skelter after the forces fired pellet guns into the protest march. About 15 injured persons were shifted to nearby Handwara sub-district hospital, where doctors referred five to Srinagar for treatment.
Earlier in the morning, a bullet-riddled body of a youth identified as Bilal Ahmad Malik of Dafferpora, Pulwama, was recovered from Sakul Chewa Kalan village in Newa area of the same district.
A senior police official said that the body after post-mortem was handed over to the deceased’s family. Two cartridges were also found at the spot.
Reports said that Bilal had left his home late on Saturday evening on his motorcycle to drop his brother-in-law home at Kangan village in Murran area of the district.
Sources said that the motor cycle of deceased too was found missing. A police official told Kashmir Reader that they are investigating the case and have not yet received post-mortem report of the slain youth.
The funeral of slain was offered amid heavy pro-freedom and anti-India slogans. The mourners alleged that the youth was killed by the government forces in ‘cold blood’. Hurriyat Conference (M) has said the killing is similar to that of the murder of an ATM guard in Srinagar.
More than ten people were injured after clashes broke-out between government forces and youths in Rainawari area of Srinagar. Witnesses said that the forces resorted to heavy teargas and pellet gun firing to disperse the protesters.
The forces have also arrested three youths on the charges of pelting forces with stones during the on-going agitation. The protests were going-on in the area till late in the evening.
Score of people in Waterhail area of Budgam district attacked Police post Waterhail with stones and bricks, triggering massive clashes in the area. Reports said that several protesters have sustained injuries during the clashes.
The locals of Jenab Saheb offered Asr prayers on roads as a protest against the civilian killings. They also carried a protest march towards Sabzi market and held demonstrations there. Asr prayers were also offered at Maharaj Bazar area in Srinagar.
The Valley witnessed complete shutdown on Sunday and people cleaned public places in response to a call by the resistance leadership.
Reports reaching here said that the people, including youngsters and adults, carried out number of sanitation drives and put efforts to clean their localities. This was the reply to the sanitary situation arising in the populated areas due to dysfunctional municipalities.
Thousands of youths participated in the cleanliness drives in several areas of Srinagar, Baramulla, Pulwama, Anantnag, Kulgam, Kupwara, Budgam, Shopian and Bandipora districts after pro-freedom leadership appealed people to hold the sanitation drive from 10 am to 4 pm on Sunday.
The curfew remained in force in six police station areas of Srinagar — Safakadal, Nowhatta, Khanyar, Rainawari, Maharajgunj and Batamaloo on Sunday.
While as curfew was also imposed in two towns of Budgam district Chadoora and Khansahib, two towns of Kupwara Handwara and Langate and Anantnag town in view of the heavy clashes and casualties occurred in these areas.
Meanwhile, the District Magistrate Rajouri imposed Section 144 of CrPC in municipality limits of the Rajouri town on Sunday.
The order said that no persons shall organize/lead unlawful assembly or resort of provocative slogans within the limit of Rajouri Municipality. However, the restrictions shall not be applied to gathering in connection with preparations for Independence Day, marriage, cremation/burial in case of death and within the premises of places of worship. The order shall remain in force up to August 17, 2016, it said.
Mobile internet services continued to remain snapped in the entire Valley where the outgoing facility on prepaid connections is also barred.