Tale of Sopore women and their conflict-devastated lives

Sopore: In the last about two-and-a-half decades, women in Kashmir have suffered physical and mental trauma. And same is true about the women at Sopore: several women in this north Kashmir town lost their family members and have been living a tormented life ever since.
Tasleema Jaan lost her husband, Sheikh Altaf Rahman, in 2015. According to her, Altaf was a “pro-freedom” man whom the government agencies took into custody many times and interrogated.
The torture left him crippled, and he couldn’t walk without using a stick, she said.
“As a pharmacist in the Sopore Hospital, he always helped those in need. He left behind two daughters and a son, who are now the sole reason for me to live,” she told Kashmir Reader.
“My life has been torn apart. When his body arrived, I thought I have lost all the reasons to live. It was the most difficult part of my life.”
Her mother-in-law, who consoles Tasleema often, added: “She is crying because she lost her husband the last year, but I lost two of my beloved sons in this conflict. I have no tears because I live with their memories.”
Naseema Begum, a resident of old town Sopore, lost her son, Mudasir Ahmad, during the 2010 mass-agitation. The paramilitary CRPF men, Naseema recalled, killed Ahmad, a popular football player, when he was returning home from a nearby mosque.
“He was not a stone thrower. Why did they kill him? And do kids deserve to be killed even if they throw stones?” she asked. “I am living in depression, taking help from the medicines prescribed by the doctors.”
“When my son was martyred, everyone visited us. Now six years later, nobody comes to see me. People move on. Who has the time to care about the pain and sufferings of a mother who lost her young son? He was the star of my eyes, and his death has shattered my life. I am alive, but I am virtually dead. I died the day he left this world. All I want now is to see him in the after world.”
Twenty-two-year-old Afroza Nazir, who works in a private healthcare facility, has been the sole bread earner for her family since her brother was killed by the government forces on June 25, 2010, at Sopore.
“If my brother was alive today, I would be studying. I was compelled by the circumstances into leaving my studies and work for supporting my family of five. My father is physically challenged and my other brothers are too young to work.”
Afroza aimed to study in a college and live merrily as most young girls do.
“I don’t just have to work to make our ends meet, but I have been also fighting for the SRO case of my brother for the last six years. Our lives have become miserable because of this violence,” she lamented.
Tabasum Tariq Bhat has a same story to share. Her father, Tariq Ahmad Bhat of old Sopore, died due to his mental illness caused, according to the family, by the torture he suffered at the hands of the government forces.
“After his release from the prison, he was unable to recognise his family. He was scared of his own shadow,” Tabasum said.
“After the death of my father, my dream of pursuing higher studies was destroyed. I started tailoring people’s clothes at my home to earn for the family. I don’t know what life means now, because I have stopped thinking about it,” she concluded.

Like it ! Share it .....

Like Love Haha Wow Sad Angry

22 Responses to "Tale of Sopore women and their conflict-devastated lives"

1. Wasifa   June 3, 2016 at 1:26 am

Sopore town has been always the forefront in the pro-freedom revolution,there would be many stories like this…..Brilliant piece

2. Waseem   June 3, 2016 at 1:28 am

Respect and salute to these women.

3. Rabiya   June 3, 2016 at 1:30 am

Imagining there trauma and sadness by reading this story made my eyes wet

4. firdous dar   June 3, 2016 at 9:01 am

MERI AANKHAIN NUM HUYEEN
    IN K KEHNAY MAE SECHAYI YEH HAI KISEE NAY B MUD KER INKI HALETI ZAAR K IZALEH KI KUCH B NHI APNA FERZ NIBHAYA

5. Mehraj   June 3, 2016 at 10:40 am

These women should be our idols not the girl who has topped some civil service exam or has topped in any colonial competition,the struggle which these women are going through is unmeasurable and unimaginable

6. Shazia   June 3, 2016 at 11:31 am

I couldn’t control my tears while reading this story of such a brave women,they have given their life to this Kashmir struggle and the moment of their grief and pain,nobody has come to their help or support.

Shame on the people who claim to be the lovers of freedom,true lovers are these women.

7. Rashid Abbasi   June 3, 2016 at 2:01 pm

I must thank the author for bringing this story. I wish that I read such stories not only Kashmir reader but in the mainstream media of Delhi where they generally talk about militant versus army fight only. As long as a particular group feel deprived of economic, social or cultural benefits in comparison to other group. That discontent will create a situation that will render state as illegitimate. Indian in Kashmir is surely different than the India in rest of the states.

8. Sadia   June 3, 2016 at 2:19 pm

Conflict has devastated many lives and women have always suffered the most …this story made me cry …heart touching story …I salute these brave ladies

9. Gul   June 3, 2016 at 2:29 pm

Mr Rashid you are totally right .i agree Indian version of Kashmir is different than the original Kashmir…

10. Sad   June 3, 2016 at 4:01 pm

This is the story and life of every Kashmiri women in every part of the Kashmir …treated as if their lives are not precious … There are hundreds of Naseema ki who have lost their husbands in this conflict …

11. Ahmad   June 3, 2016 at 4:05 pm

This is the bloody story of Kashmir and the responsible is Indian army only…most of all the Indian media is biased towards Kashmir .outside j&k ,Kashmiris are portrayed as terrorists and to much surprise the Indians will fear even a1 year old baby if he is a Kashmiri.

12. Zedraan khan   June 3, 2016 at 5:10 pm

Shaikh Altaf-ur-Rehman was my best ever friend. His Departure was indeed a great misfortune for the ongoing fredom movement of Kashmir and for the Humanity as well. We wouldn’t be able to witness such a great personality ever again in the entire valley. May The Almighty Allah rest his soul in peace in the high altitudes of Jannat ul Firdouse, Aameen!

13. Younis   June 3, 2016 at 5:26 pm

Bringing such stories in media is very important,so that people will never forget the atrocities witnessed by every Kashmiri….Remembrance is very important.

14. Nadeem   June 3, 2016 at 5:32 pm

Hum Bhool Gayai Hai apnay maqsad ko
    kar yaad ab apnay mastaq ko
    tu jab jab peechay dekhay ga
    toh tab tab ek yaad ko jeyai ga.

Great piece.

15. Adnan   June 4, 2016 at 12:32 am

Spine chilling story….

16. yousuf   June 4, 2016 at 2:00 am

Ya Allah rahem kar

17. javaid   June 4, 2016 at 11:03 pm

Just commenting means nothing. it is better we all commentators, join hands to b of some help to persons likeAfroza,Naseema etc.Me also from sopore…
    I also request the above said victims to feel free to express themselves to this brother..if I can b of sm help to them

18. Aby   June 6, 2016 at 10:49 pm

It is easy to get killed in Palestine while living in Kashmir is difficult …Above story is an example of it

19. ashish   June 12, 2016 at 11:15 am

Hmmm this is what you have given too to Kashmiri Hindu women when your turn came you begin to cry haye Allah nature has no difference what you have done you have to get the same

20. Muneer   July 17, 2016 at 7:34 am

ALLAH will compensate the believers for the loss of their lives and wealth. Grievous Penalty is awaiting the criminals, rejectors of truth and justice.
    The sufferings and the enjoyment sin this life are transitory but an abode of Paradise for righteous believers and abode of Hell as an evil destination is eternal.
    Let the believers rejoice in the Beautiful Promise of their Lord (ALLAH).

21. TANVEER   July 19, 2016 at 10:24 pm