Karachi: Former Pakistan captain Inzamam-ul-Haq, who is set to be announced as the chairman of senir selection committee, took a hefty pay cut of 4 lakh rupees from existing monthly salary of 12 lakh that he drew from Afghanistan Cricket Board.
According to sources in the PCB, Inzamam reached a deal after he agreed to lower his monthly salary to 8 lakh rupees from the 1.2 million, he was getting from the Afghanistan board.
The PCB is set to announce his name as the new chief selector on Monday after he resigned as head coach of the Afghanistan cricket team.
PCB chairman Shaharyar Khan confirmed that Inzamam would be the new chief selector and all issues surrounding his release from his contract with the Afghanistan cricket board had been resolved.
“He is our choice given his vast experience and the board has reached an agreement with Inzamam after the Afghanistan board agreed to release him,” Khan said.
Inzamam a veteran of 120 tests and 398 one-day internationals came up as a surprise choice for the chief selector’s position after other names including those of former Test players Mohsin Khan, Iqbal Qasim and Moin Khan were tipped for this position.
Shaharyar said that Inzamam would be given the opportunity to select the other members of his selection committee and he had also advised the board to include the captain and coach in the selection process in future.
Under the present system the captain and coach are only consulted by the selectors before finalizing any team but Inzamam has told the board he wants the captain and coach to be members of the selection committee so that they can take full responsibility for the performance of the team.
Inzamam, who last year signed up with the Afghanistan team as their head coach, has enjoyed success with them as the minnows in the recent World T20 upset the eventual champions, West Indies in the group matches.
Media reports claimed that Inzamam had emerged as the surprise candidate for the coveted post after advice from the Prime Minister’s secretariat to the PCB but Khan dismissed these reports insisting it was the board’s decision to approach the former captain.