Police chargesheet in Kupwara massacre awaits nod from top brass

Police chargesheet in Kupwara massacre awaits nod from top brass

Kupwara: Twenty-two years after a group of soldiers massacred 27 civilians, on 27 January 1994, in Kupwara town, the police are awaiting the approval of higher officials for the chargesheet they have completed against the accused soldiers and which they plan to file before a court.
Led by Major S Bakshi, the soldiers had fired indiscriminately at people in the town. The survivors of the massacre have said the army avenged the defiance of the townspeople who had been ordered by the Major that they should keep their shops open on India’s Republic Day on January 26 and attend a local army camp for celebrations.
Not only did people observe a complete strike, like the rest of the Valley, they also did not attend army celebrations.
The police had then filed a case of murder and attempt to murder. At the time, scores of survivors had submitted written complaints against the killers. However, the police never seriously pursued the case against the army.
This time, however, a police official told Kashmir Reader that they have attached a report of the CID which says the army had fired at the civilians without any provocation and ruled out presence of militants at the time of the massacre.
However, the CID report says only 18 civilians were killed on the day.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.